Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Getting Down to Business.

A little follow up to Up, up, and away!. I began with looking up the rough dimensions of a C-130H (what the YMC-130s were based off of) to get an idea of what the model's scale would need to be. What I found is a 40.25m wing span, a 11.6 m to top of tail, and a 29.6 m from nose to tail. Not wanting these to be ginormous pieces, I punched the numbers into Excel and extrapolated their dimensions into 20mm (1/80.5), 25mm (1/64), and 28mm (1/58) scales.


So 1/64 is about the middle of the road for sizes, regardless of what size miniatures I'd use. So off to find 1/64 scale aircraft models. Nadda for 1/64. And 1/72 scale models are in the neighborhood of $50 a piece online. Not very economical. So digging through ebay for cheap kits, I found a seller who had plans for RC aircraft, and had C-130 plans in 1/19 scale. I fired off a message to him to see if they were scalable. I got a fairly quick replay yes (I just had to add a note asking for this when I purchased the plans). I'm not able to purchase a model, so I'll build one.

I got this.

Anyway, to get ready, I took an outline of a C-130 and sketched out the changes to get a good idea of how it would look. 

I found some technical drawings on a UK forum and used a few different pages to blend into this. Sadly they were hosted on Photobucket (yuck) and are covered in their watermark. The location and shapes come from those and these photos of the surviving YMC-130 that had been on display at Robins AFB, GA. 




Though it was moved to a New York aerospace museum in 2018. You can read about it at Aviation Geek and C-130Hercules.net.


Now I just need to wait on the plans to get here... 

No comments:

Post a Comment